Toddler Skirt and Baby Dress
I found this Micheal Miller Corduroy at a local Ben Franklins in the clearance bin because it was from the end of the bolt. I got just under a yard for close to $5.00! I was ecstatic because I had seen this fabric before but knew that I could not afford $15.00 a yard.
I first made the babys jumper. It is a pattern from New Look #6578. This pattern is super easy. The instructions are very clear and simple to understand. As I was sitting in church yesterday morning it dawned on me "why did I not make this dress reversible?!? I lined the chest area with a pink corduroy that I found at DI (our local thrift store) for a dollar or something for just under a yard.
Oh and for the buttons a little trick that I did was: faux buttons. Instead of doing the button hole I did snaps then hand sewed the button onto the dress making sure that I allowed for enough room for the snap to still work properly. Let me tell you...tons easier and still an adorable dress.
When I was finished with the jumper I realized that I had enough fabric of both corduroy to make the toddler a dress. She was so excited to be able to match her sister.
For her skirt I cut two rectangles (the width of the fabric). It ended up being whatever fabric I had leftover that formed a rectangle. Then I sewed them together. Then I trimmed the one big rectangle up (cause I did not do this before). Then I sewed the one big rectangle into one circle. Then I added the elastic waistband. Next Time I do this, I think that I will add elastic only to the back part of the skirt. I don't know quite how it will work but I am going to try it. Then I finished the bottom of the skirt and I was done. I think this skirt took me 20 minutes from start to finish.
The results were fabulous!