I've been saving them for all that time thinking I would be able to make at least a couple of smaller maxi skirts. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but yesterday morning before church I thought I would give it a try
After trimming them all, then I grabbed my largest scrap piece and another piece that the longest edge of the piece had the chevron going in a different direction.
I used my serger to sew them. Then I grabbed another scrap piece and sewed it on. Trying the entire time to get the chevron pattern to go in different directions.
Most of the pieces that I was using were in the shape of triangles, so it ended up that the top of the skirt was skinnier than the bottom of it. Which is exactly what I needed.
I just kept sewing more and more onto the skirt, until I had enough that when I wrapped it around my girls waist that it was long enough and wide enough. I tried to make sure it was in a sort of trapezoid shape. Then I sewed the trapezoid shape into a skirt. Then trim the top and the bottom of the skirt so that they aren't uneven.
For the waist band I took a piece that was 2-3 inches shorter than their waist measurement. Serged the short ends together to make a band. Folded that in half and serged the band onto the top of the skirt, all the while stretching the top band.
I love how the finished skirts turned out. My girls were so excited to have "one of those long skirts just like yours!"
Its all about keeping them happy ya know!
Follow A Vision to Remember: